Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2011

Iron on

I have to admit to being less than familiar with the iron. I'm a hang it over the radiator and the wrinkles will 'fall out' kind of girl.

This week however the iron and I have become better acquainted - in the workshop of all places. Yes, I discovered iron-on edge banding. I'm not quite sure how I missed this marvellous trick. My past edge banding experiences have involved me slavishly cutting strips of veneer,  applying glue (usually too much), then with frustrating slowness taping them section by section onto the edge to be covered. Iron-on however does exactly what it says on the tin. The strips of veneer or melamine are pre glued, the heat from the iron then activates the glue, a little pressure and hey presto a beautifully edged piece. Or so you'd think. It might just be me but I cannot say this process was without its own difficulties (any wise words, hints etc very welcome). The veneer still catches, moves, lifts, tears out and basically makes you want to hit it very hard with a mallet or in my case just cry. After some swearing I philosophically decided that, with edge banding, it is simply the nature of the beast and all you can do is take a deep breath and edge on!

Here are some photos of the lovely walnut edge banding I've been working with and the laying out and ironing on. (None of the trimming though, after my router experiences it might have been less than wise!)

Walnut edge banding (25mm)

Ironing it on...
The completed edge







No comments:

Post a Comment

please do say hi or add your thoughts but no nasties please x